Lamar County, Mississippi Genealogy and History
Marion County W. P. A. History
Columbia is one of the thriving towns of South Mississippi and it is one of the oldest
EBENEZER SETTLEMENT about sixteen miles north of Columbia on Holliday’s Creek is in the northern part of the county. A Baptist Church was located in the vicinity more than a hundred years ago and was and is still known as Ebenezer. The church is located just across the county line in Jeff Davis County, but many of the early settlers there lived in Marion County.
WILKSBURG was one of the first post offices in the county, located near Ebenezer. Steve WILKES settled in Ebenezer community near the early part of the Nineteenth Century and established or was instrumental in its establishment, the post office which was named in his honor. He was a slave owner and operated a thriving saloon and a race track.
CARLEY was another post office that was established near Ebenezer. It was located five or six miles south of the above mentioned place and about ten or twelve miles northeast of Columbia. The post office has long been discontinued and the same community is now referred to as BUNKER HILL, so named because of the high hill on which it is located. A church, two stores, and a Masonic Lodge are now located there. The lodge is recognized as Carley No. 562.
Encyclopedia of Mississippi history: comprising sketches of …, Volume 1 edited by Dunbar Rowland
Carley a postoffice of Marion county situated on Holidays Creek about 9 miles north of Columbia the county seat and nearest railroad and banking town Population in 1900: 32
The county, which was named for the illustrious L. Q. C. Lamar, was instituted and began to function April 1, 1904, following the proclamation of governor James K. Vardaman on March 30, at which time the governor appointed officers for the new county as follows: G. W. Holliman, sheriff and tax collector; C. V. Hathorne, clerk of the chancery court and circuit court; T. W. Davis, superintendent of education; J. T. Carley, county treasurer; J. W. Holliman, coroner and ranger; E. McD. Nichols, surveyor; and J. W. Treen (president), D. C. Camp, Willie Powell, T. I. Cameron, and P. M. Bynum, board of supervisors. J. R. Cowart, A. S. Hinton.
J. T. CARLEY came to Purvis soon after the railroad was built and engaged in the mercantile business, and when Lamar County was established he was elected as the first treasurer and served until 1918. He took a prominent and leading part in the developments of the town and community.
In August, 1892, an insurance policy was written on the frame courthouse for $2000, and in September a contract was awarded the Manley Manufacturing Company of Dalton, Georgia, to build a jail for the sum of $2,945. J. T. Carley and W. H. Magee were appointed as comissioners to examine and inspect the new jail.
A church was built in 1884 for the use of all denominations. It was also used for a school house with A. M. Carley from Columbia as teacher. In 1885 the Methodists built a small church and in 1886 the Baptists did likewise.
In 1885 Ed and John Fairley established a mill in Purvis, locating it in the hollow below the place where Mr. Carraway now lives and operated it for several years. After the Fairleys discontinued operating their mill, J. T. Carley established one that eventually James Hand took over, establishing a larger one in its stead on the railroad just north of the depot
In 1932 when the timber was all cut, the mill closed. People began drifting away to find employment elsewhere, and the population decreased to about 1500. Now with its few business houses, post office, two gins, and several grist mills, this little town depends entirely upon agriculture. It is located in the extreme northern part of Lamar County and covers 100 square miles.