In 1868 Patrick Henry Carley opened his Landmark Tavern, an Irish Waterfront Saloon. In those days there was no 12th Avenue, just the shores of the Hudson, on which his Tavern sat. Mr. and Mrs. Carley designed their new saloon to also be a practical home for their children on the second and third floors.
This remained as such until prohibition forced them to turn the third floor into a speakeasy. As one of the oldest continually operating establishments in the City today, The Landmark Tavern still retains its classic old New York charm.
626 11th Avenue (on 46th Street)
New York, NY 10036